Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Freaking Windy! / Ernest Hemingway


What an absolutey crazy day. Wednesday is my big bike riding / teaching day, and the winds were howling. Gusts of up to 80km. 80km! One point, on Bloor St, I nearly got blown off the bike. Expletives abound as I shift into the granny gear. Shameless.

Had a moment of great luck today. Was racing down a hill, pedals pumping, chin tucked into the stem for aerodynamics, trying to keep precious momentum for the rising grade ahead. Heard my keys jangling about in my jacket pocket, and then... no more jangles.

Was lucky I heard nothing, 'cause I stopped, went back up the hill, and found my keys lying on the road.

Whew,

j

Oh yeah, I'm also starting to crack into some great novels for my English correspondence course. Just reviewed the first chapter of Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises". He's got a fab prose style - lean and punchy, stripped of pretense and frills. I can almost feel the sentences clicking in my brain.

From a brief bio that I read, it sounds like Ernest was a macho-man. He liked bullfighting, hunting, fishing, etc. (See above photo of Ernest with prized dead animal)

He probably wouldn't have used granny gears either.