Tuesday, March 28, 2006

"It's Like a Symphony of Joints"


Today - today, was a glorious day. Maybe the first capital letter on the upcoming sentence of summer!

Getting out of bed, the sun was shining through the back deck windows. I looked over - Hil had her shirt wrapped over her eyes, but after a while, it was no use. Time to get up.

Right now, I'm reading Dicken's "Great Expectations" for my english course, and while I find the manner of language from that era maddening (just say what you want to say!), it's beginning to engage me. Did an hour of that, then headed down to the Dog for morning mysore.

What a sweaty, sweaty practice! Room was busy, and although Ron Reid is still away in India, super David Robson was working the room brilliantly. Pools of sweat everywhere, and the windows were dripping - then again, maybe that's 'cause whenever someone opened a window, Dave would slam it shut. Did I mention how busy it was? - maybe it has something to do with the mysore time slot being more civilized: 10am - 12pm.

Tuesday practice is always a good one for me, and I focus on, (surprise!) lots of backbending. The opening second series backbends (which, if you're doing them right, are SUPER, SUPER hard), have been helping me open up my upper spine, as well as building some sorely needed strength in my wimpy lower back.

Right now, I'm in the process of reinvention, and doing things the "right" way, as opposed to the easy way. After 5 months of this, things are starting to make more sense, and the tight parts of my body are starting to catch up, as opposed to my old approach of making the flexy parts flexier, and the tight parts - well, tighter..

As I pushed up into another backbend, I remembered Diane's summary of the technical set up it takes to get a spine just right

"It's like a symphony of joints."

Hmmmm - "... like a symphony of joints." Pelvis, sacrum, ribs, vertebrae, scapula, humerus (and the other 10 players that I forgot here), all coming together on the same page.

After practice, and that feeling of deep work, I went home. Hil and I sat on the deck, basking in the sun doing school work. Actually, I was nodding off more than anything.

***

Oh yeah, been pulling my hair out, trying to figure out the perfect fit for my new bike. And with that, has been the search for just the right stem. Gone through a whole bunch now, and then I went back to the first one, and took a nice fast ride with Dave B today. And dangity, if that thing didn't feel better.

Maybe it's the sun.

Please - let summer start!

j

BTW - David Robson's the guy in the bottom of the pic.