Friday, March 31, 2006

Sage Words from The Washing Machine Man

Yesterday, Sean, the Italian-Applicance guy stopped by the apartment.

Our washine machine, which he had proudly extolled a few months ago, "This, I'm not going to lie to you, this, THIS is a good machine. It will last you thirty years or more!"was dead at three months.

Wow. Neither Hil and I are even thirty, so, that seemed like a good pitch at the time. .

Sean's arrival lead to a prompt fix of the problem - the plug for the drum had vibrated loose.

Forty bucks for the repair call. And since it was our fault for not balancing the load properly, it wasn't under warranty.

Sheeee - it.

Oh well - Sean wanted the money in cash, so we hopped into his service van, looking for an ATM.

I like Sean. Sure, losing 40 bucks sucks hard, but the man has to make his living too. As he negotiated the traffic on Dundas Street, I learned that he has 4 kids. Three from his first wife who died of breast cancer, and one from his current Cubanisimo lady. His oldest daughter is a teacher now. His oldest son doesn't live with them anymore. He tried to become a police officer but got kicked out for hanging out with the wrong friends.

Sean hazarded a guess that I was twenty and still in school. When I told him I taught yoga, and was almost thirty, he was dismayed. "You're 29? You should be in construction. That's where all the good money is right now. Those guys in construction, they make lots of money - too much money if you ask me. That's what I would do if I were you."

Some other sage advice during our 10 minute drive:

1. "make sure you don't have any kids soon. you have kids, it's all over. The work starts."
2. "go back to school"
3. "work in construction"

Not only do I get my washing machine fixed, for $40, I get life lessons too - a bargain at any price :)

j